Nov 13, 2011

Sweet and Sour Mustard Sauce

This creamy sauce is a delicious accompaniment with ham. It makes ham just a little more fancy. The recipe comes from a former neighbor, Becky Ririe.

2 cups whipping cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
4 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 cup vinegar

Blend the cream and egg yolks together and set aside. Combine sugar, flour, and dry mustard in the top portion of a double boiler over boiling water. Gradually add the cream mixture, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened. Gradually stir in the vinegar. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

2 comments:

  1. I tried it with only yolks and later with two whole eggs, couldn't tell any difference in either taste or texture once it's cooked.
    I've looked everywhere for this recipe for 60 years...thanks.
    When I was 16 I worked part-time in a small family restaurant in the Beechwold area of Col's. Ohio. The "Sheltons" served this with ham, I never forgot how good it was and how it added that "final touch".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alice! I'm glad you found what you were looking for. It's interesting to hear a little history of this recipe. I'm on the other side of the country, in Utah. This recipe has gotten around, it sounds like. But you are right that it makes ham a little more special. I just made a batch for a dinner group I belong to and for a family dinner. Yum!

    ReplyDelete