May 18, 2011

Mexican Vanilla

For anyone out there who knows how delicious Mexican vanilla is, I just found a local source that sells it. In fact, the company is just two blocks west of where I live in Springville. Who would have thought?! Until fairly recently, my family always knew people who knew people (including a former 100+-year-old neighbor) who could get us Mexican vanilla directly from Mexico. We put it in whipped cream, cookies, custard, ice cream, and anything else that called for vanilla. It made everything better. Well, now you can get Mexican vanilla without any special connections. It isn't cheap, but I urge you to give it a try. It's called Blue Cattle Truck Mexican Vanilla. It has won awards and been featured on the Martha Stewart Show. Check out this link.

3 comments:

  1. I was just noticing that they sell it at The Chocolate on State St in orem. I don't know the brand/quality, but I almost bought some!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know why everybody loves Mexican vanilla. To me, it tastes weaker than good vanilla, and has a musky aftertaste not unlike the bouquet of an unwashed hamper full of laundry. I recognize that I am alone in my derision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I'm afraid I'm not able to offer the defense of Mexican vanilla that you so desperately seek. I wish I could. But I think it may be related to my almost total lack of a sense of smell. Whatever the reason, I don't believe that I have a very refined ability to precisely identify or evaluate flavors. Of course, I hate to admit that as a recipe blogger, and I may lose my 17 followers as a result, but I have to speak the truth. I guess I take solace in the fact that I respond more holistically to food. :-)

    ReplyDelete