Mar 2, 2010

Scotcharoos

My friend and coworker Angie is a passionate lover of books and can recommend a good read to just about anyone. You can visit her book blog here. Frankly, I don't know why Angie isn't a librarian, but then she has other interests, too, including cooking. This Scotcharoo recipe is an oft-requested treat that Angie brings to office parties. The peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch make an awesome combination.

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cup Rice Krispies
1 bag chocolate chips
1 bag butterscotch chips
(I use about a bag and a half of each kind)

Combine corn syrup and sugar and bring to boil over low heat. Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and mix till creamy. Mix in Rice Krispies and pour into a buttered 9x13 pan. While treats are cooling, combine chocolate and butterscotch chips and melt over low heat, stirring as necessary. Pour over cooled treats and refrigerate till topping solidifies. Cut into chunks and serve.

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to make these for so long! But Wes has serious issues with butterscotch chips. Butterscotch anything! Now that you posted this recipe - I am going to make them anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily--I think you should try these anyway. There's a good chance that Wes will like them. I'm not a big fan of butterscotch chips either. But in this case, the butterscotch chips are mixed with chocolate chips, so it's less noticeable. But let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete