Feb 16, 2010

Roasted Beets

Growing up, I thought I hated beets. The flavor seemed too overwhelming to me. But I've changed my mind fairly recently. I now know that I like beets if they are roasted instead of pickled. If you haven't tried roasted beets, give this simple recipe a try. It is adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

4 medium beets, greens removed, trimmed, and scrubbed
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the beets individually in foil (like a baked potato) and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until a skewer can be inserted easily into a beet, 45 minutes to an hour.

Remove the beets from the oven, open the foil packets, and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Take the warm beets, one at a time, and gently rub off the skin using paper towels. Slice the beets 1/4-inch thick, then toss with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. We are a beet-loving family so we will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete