Nov 25, 2009

Peanut Butter Cookies

This is a family recipe, one I've enjoyed my whole life. I'm not sure how to describe the end result. These peanut butter cookies seem less dense than most others I've tried. And perhaps slightly sweeter. They can be soft or crisp, depending on the baking time.

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter (I like to use chunky peanut butter, but that's just a personal preference)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in scant 1/3 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour

Cream shortening, peanut butter, and sugars. Beat in egg. Then add water and baking soda with the dry ingredients. Roll the dough into balls, flatten with a fork, and bake at 350-375 degrees until done, about 12 to 13 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kip! I'll try these this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These were incredible. Best peanut butter cookies I've ever had. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's high praise, Kathy. Thanks. I've been wanting to make a batch of these cookies ever since you brought this up, so I've made a double batch of dough, and I'm about to go bake them. I should be able to put in a baking time now.

    By the way, I just made your lemon cake for the second time, and just finished off the last piece. Yum!

    ReplyDelete