Oct 19, 2009

Seven-Minute Frosting

If I had to pick one recipe that I associate most with my family and growing up, this just might be my choice. This marshmallowy frosting is one that we make over and over again. It's the frosting that is most requested for birthday cakes. Seven-minute frosting (I've never liked the prosaic title) is visually appealing and can be used on all flavors of cake, though we usually put it on chocolate cakes. It's easy to make, but you do have to have a double boiler.

2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup or 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in top of double broiler. Place over boiling water and beat with rotary beater until mixture stands in stiff peaks. Take off heat and mix in vanilla. Frost cake immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment