Oct 25, 2009

French Chocolate

As temperatures drop and we head into winter, this is a recipe that you'll definitely want to try. It's a variation on hot chocolate, but the reason I like it better is that I don't fully mix the chocolate cream into the milk when I'm making a cup for myself. So when I sip a mug of French Chocolate, I feel the warmth of the milk on my lips and the cool softness of the chocolate cream. Not easy to explain, but I love the simultaneous sensation of hot and cold. Another advantage of this over ordinary hot chocolate is that each person can customize the amount of chocolate flavor they want in their drink. French Chocolate is a Christmas morning/brunch tradition for our family.

2-1/2 quarts milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup chocolate syrup (Hershey’s)
1/3 cup sugar

Warm milk over low heat. Meanwhile, whip heavy cream, chocolate syrup, and sugar until stiff (can refrigerate up to 2 hours at this point). To serve, put a heaping tablespoon of the chocolate mixture into each cup and pour hot milk over it. Yield: 16 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment