Sep 16, 2009

Fresh Peach Ice Cream

While peaches are still in season, don't miss out on the opportunity to make fresh peach ice cream. This recipe is adapted from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.

Fresh Peach Ice Cream
2 cups ripe peaches that have been peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Sweet Cream Base (see below)

Combine the peaches, sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Puree with a hand blender. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours. Prepare the Sweet Cream Base and then combine with the chilled fruit mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according the manufacturer's instructions.

Sweet Cream Base
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Makes 1 generous quart.

2 comments:

  1. Kip, do you own a camera? Just wondering. Because it appears that you don't own one. Pictures!!! I want photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have a digital camera, but I haven't bothered to learn how to use it yet. Sigh. Cheree, you aren't the first one to ask for photos. I've been hesitant only because I think it's one more thing to do, and because I think it takes a fair amount of effort to take good photographs of food. I guess I better bend to the pressure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete