Sep 12, 2009

Chili Sauce

It doesn't seem like many people I know are familiar with, or have even heard of, chili sauce, which is a shame. This recipe comes from my Grandmother Beck and one of her neighbors in St. George, Utah. Antone and Vilate Prince were pioneer descendents in St. George when my grandparents, Elden and Florence Beck, moved there in 1933. Antone (Pa Prince) was the sheriff of that small community. Vilate (Ma Prince) shared this recipe with my grandmother during the time they both lived in St. George.

Chili sauce makes meatloaf worth eating. We also use it on stuffed peppers, omelets, roast beef, and in homemade Thousand Island dressing. And we make a dip for crackers by spreading cream cheese on a plate, then topping it with chili sauce, chopped hard boiled egg, baby shrimp, and then letting it chill. Yum! I'm not sure why this recipe is called chili sauce since there are no chilies in it. But in any case, this is a recipe that my family and extended family love. By the way, store-bought chili sauce does not even come anywhere close to homemade.

1 bucket ripe tomatoes
6 large green peppers
10 medium-size onions, peeled and quartered
4 tablespoons salt
1 quart sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of pepper

Scald tomatoes, peel, and cut into quarters. Let drain in colander or sieve. Set aside. Wash and remove seeds from the peppers; cut into quarters. Coarsely grind peppers and onions in food grinder and then drain some of the liquid off in a colander or sieve. Combine all ingredients in a large pan, and simmer over medium heat, uncovered, until chili sauce is thickened (about 3 hours). Makes 20 to 24 half pints.

9 comments:

  1. I love chili sauce, but I buy mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of chili ("chila") sauce simmering on the stove just feels like home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kip,
    Both of them are really close to each other. Just some minor variations. I'll have to try yours. I like the dip idea. That sounds yummy- better than cocktail sauce.

    -doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. dkzody--is there a particular brand you recommend? I only see two kinds around here. One is labeled "Homemade," and I can't remember the other. It's a national brand, I think, and probably made by a company that makes ketchup. But neither of those come close to what my mom makes. Have you ever tried homemade chili sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So our recipes are similar? Did you post yours on Facebook? I've been out of town on business and haven't checked there yet, but I will. Anyway, yes, please try the dip. I'm confident you'll love it if you love chili sauce. Just spread a package of cream cheese on a platter, then a thin layer of chili sauce, then a chopped har-boiled egg or two, and a can of rinsed and drained canned baby shrimp. Cover that and let it chill. Then serve on Ritz Crackers. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try making this. I've hit the gold mine of tomatoes - Larry's garden.
    I'll connect this recipe to my blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know how it goes, Julie. I've often helped my mom and dad make chili sauce in the early fall. Although it's bit of work for one person, the small of chili sauce is wonderful, apparently. Of course, I wouldn't know because I have virtually no sense of smell. But I trust the people do know the smell. More importantly, having chili sauce to use is worth the effort. I just had some on a meatloaf today. Anyway, good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was doing some research on traditional Slovak foods for a Slovak Christmas Eve meal and I found the recipe below. I am interested in seeing how this sauce works out. The mangos threw me off a bit, but I am going to make small batch and I will report back.

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1615,146163-244204,00.html


    Paul
    Athens, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Paul. I had no idea there was a Slovak version of chili sauce. I also didn't know that there was such a thing as red and green mangoes. Although I will likely never make the Slovak version, I'm definitely interested in hearing back from you on what chili sauce with mangoes tastes like. I'm intrigued. :-)

    ReplyDelete