Aug 25, 2009

Phil White's Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies

This is a recipe I used frequently as a graduate student in English down at Arizona State University. Whenever I was tired of studying, I'd whip up a batch of these large cookies and take them to school in a blue and white Tupperware container (which I still have) to feed my fellow grad students.

2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 pound butter
3 eggs
5 1/2-6 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 package milk chocolate chips
Chopped nuts (optional)
M&Ms

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs and then dry ingredients. Use an ice cream scoop to measure and mold dough and then place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes. Press M&M's into the partially baked cookies midway through baking.

7 comments:

  1. Sheesh, Kippers! When you post things like this you make me wish I was in the office again, just so I could partake of your kindness! Looks delicious. Maybe one of these nights when the egg/milk/nut allergic kid is asleep, I'll whip some of these up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute! I just made some chocolate chip cookes last night. The recipe came from "our" book and I swear it was Phil's. He must be a cookie king. It called for m&ms too but I didn't have any. This recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheree, thanks for your comment. I wish you were still in the office myself. I know I haven't been great about keeping in touch, but I do honestly miss you. All the best to you and the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, that's funny if you have the same recipe. I don't think I've run across it anywhere else. But the Whites lived just east of Kiwanis Park. By the way, this is the recipe I used for the microcredit fundraiser/garage sale at Anna Taylor's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As i look more closely at the recipe - this is exactly the the same one I made two nights ago. But as you will notice - it doesn't call for white chocolate chips (which is what you call them in the title). I think that is what threw me off. So what do you use? Milk or white? I have had this recipe for years and have ever made it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, the guy who gave the recipe to me is Phil White. So it's Phil WHITE'S chocolate chip cookie recipe, not Phil's WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP cookie recipe. LOL. By the way, I do use milk chocolate chips. Semisweet would probably work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! That is so funny! Because in the "book" it just says Phil's chocolate chip cookie recipe. I guess that last name could cause some confusion! Well I am glad we got that cleared up! Anyway - my cookies definitely didn't turn out as good as yours...why can't I make a decent chocolate chip cookie! I remember yours being soft - like we like them. Mine were semi-soft. And when I tried to undercook them they just went flat.

    ReplyDelete