Aug 23, 2009

Julie & Julia

I went to see the new movie Julie & Julia last night with some friends. The movie weaves together two stories--one about Julia Child learning to master the art of French cooking and the other of a woman who cooks her way through Julia Child's cookbook and writes a blog about it. Though it has some flaws, I thought that it was a delightful film. Meryl Streep's performance as Julia Child is terrific! I also loved the movie's sense of humor, its focus on relationships, and the depiction of lots of wonderful food. Especially the latter. I left the theater craving something really delicious. (By the way, I ended up having a crepe with strawberries, Nutella, and whipped cream. Yum!)

This past week, my mother told me for the first time that I used to watch Julia Child's cooking shows on television fairly regularly when I was about eight years old. She said that it was an early manifestation of my interest in cooking. While I recall watching Julia Child on occasion, I don't recall any particular devotion to her show. But I trust my mom's memory of many things more than I trust my own. Anyway, I do know that I love to watch cooking shows. I don't often make the dishes I see created on television, but I love to watch the creative process unfold before me. I love to see people who are passionate about food. I love the aesthetics of food. And I love how food is often an important element of relationships.

3 comments:

  1. I really want to see it. Hey - I liked that you blogged about something other than a simple recipe. You are such a great writer and liked hearing what you had to say. You should do it more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Emily! I'll probably try a variety of things as I begin to figure out what I want this blog to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have yet to see this movie! =) I'm glad you liked it. I can totally picture you captivated by Julia Child on TV as a kid. =) Great story.

    ReplyDelete