Jun 4, 2009

Oatmeal Cookies

Many years ago, my parents got this recipe for oatmeal cookies at the Utah County Republican Convention, and because of that, they always referred to these cookies as "Republican Oatmeal Cookies." However, since I'm a Democrat, I prefer a less partisan title. But regardless of your political persuasion, this recipe could well become your oatmeal cookie recipe of choice. These delicious cookies are crisp and light, with a hint of cinnamon. Mmmm!

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oats
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Cream sugars and shortening. Blend in vanilla and eggs. Then add dry ingredients, oats, and nuts. Roll in balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.

Note: Instead of rolling the dough in balls, I often shape the dough into rolls, wrap the rolls in wax paper, and then refrigerate or freeze them. Then I just cut the rolls into slices and bake them. It's an easy way to have home-baked cookies ready at a moment's notice.

3 comments:

  1. LOL. Regardless of the name - they are some of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kip, I made these last night for a multi-family picnic. I had originally planned to make chocolate chip cookies, but found that the chocolate chips had unfortunately been used as snack food by various children. So I turned to this recipe in desperation, and it was a huge hit. One guy at the party kept telling me that he has very high standards for oatmeal cookies, and this one passed. I made vast quantities, and almost all of them were gone despite other competing desserts at the party.

    I did notice in the recipe that the measure unit for vanilla is missing--I assumed it was one teaspoon, which seemed to work fine. There also was no cooking time--I took them out at about 13 or 14 minutes, and they were crisp on the outside yet soft on the inside, even several hours later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out the omissions, Kathy. One teaspoon of vanilla is correct. Also, I knew that the cooking time was missing. I've been meaning to make this recipe again so that I could insert an estimated time, but you beat me to it.

    Based on your description of the cookie being soft on the inside, I wonder if you bake the dough for a shorter time than I do. I would usually describe these cookies as crisp. So maybe I'll try a batch next time where I don't bake them as long and see if I prefer a slightly softer cookie. But I can attest that they are good crisp, too.

    Anyway, I'm happy you liked them. This recipe is a winner. It's great to hear from you, Kathy. I see that you have a food blog yourself. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete