Jun 18, 2009

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream

It's homemade ice cream season again, and I love my Cuisinart counter top ice cream maker! It takes just a couple of minutes to whip up the ice cream mixture and then a little over twenty minutes to freeze a batch of ice cream. So it's really easy, and the end result is fabulous!

I love the Ben & Jerry's recipe for fresh strawberry ice cream. I've made it twice this week. A friend suggested that I buy strawberries when they are on sale and then cut them up and mix them with sugar and lemon juice (according to the Ben & Jerry's recipe) and put the mixture in freezer bags in just the right proportion to make batches of ice cream. After that, I pop the bags in the freezer. Then whenever I'm in the mood, I can just take a bag out, thaw it, and whip up a batch of delicious strawberry ice cream.

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
Sweet Cream Base (see below)

Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Prepare the Sweet Cream Base. Mash the strawberries to a puree (I puree them with a hand blender) and stir into the cream base. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

Sweet Cream Base
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Makes 1 generous quart.

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for this one, having finished off the last of the ice cream at the picnic. You can tell this ice cream is made with fresh strawberries. I'm not usually a strawberry ice cream fan, but this stuff was unlike any strawberry ice cream I've had.

    ReplyDelete