Jun 11, 2009

Banana Cake with Caramel Nut Frosting

This recipe offers a delicious way to use overripe bananas. And this cake freezes well, too. So I often make this cake when I have the bananas and then put it in the freezer for later. Then, when I need a quick dessert, I pull the cake out, thaw it, and frost it either with the caramel nut frosting below, penuche frosting, vanilla cream cheese frosting, or brown sugar whipped cream.

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Stir sifted dry ingredients in alternately with the buttermilk. Blend in the bananas with the last addition of flour. Add vanilla. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

Frosting
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons canned milk
1 cup chopped nuts

Beat together and spread on warm cake. Put under broiler until topping browns just slightly (Not too long!).

2 comments:

  1. I tried this yesterday and it turned out great. I subsituted whole milk for the canned milk and the frosting wasn't probably as creamy as it should have been - more like a glaze. But it still tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it turned out, Emily. I am sometimes curious what substitute ingredients will work.

    ReplyDelete