May 21, 2009

Cornflake-Crusted Baked Chicken

4 chicken drumsticks
4 chicken thighs
Coarse salt
Pepper
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season generously with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water. In a large bowl, mix cornflakes with oil, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, coat with cornflake mixture, and then place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're doing this so I don't have to. I have piles of recipes I've told myself I'd scan. We'll see if I ever do it.

    I think I try this one tonight. But no thighs. You always were a thigh man. Oh, and I'm so glad there's no SHORTENING in this one. I can't understand how that is part of any of our recipes.

    Keep typing,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that my doing a recipe blog should in any way affect whether you do one. I don't think our recipe collections would have much in common. Yours would be uber healthy, and mine would have shortening, Spam, Velveeta cheese, and mayonnaise at every turn. ;-)

    The only reason I cook thighs more often is that they seem more tender. Do you have any secrets for cooking chicken breasts so they don't become dry? Am I overcooking them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one will be made by us this weekend. For one thing, it looks easy, which is my number one requirement! Also, I think I'll try using boneless chicken breasts instead because my family doesn't care for dark meat. A nice salad would be perfect with this dish.

    Thanks, Kip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In order to ensure that your chicken breasts are tender and not overcooked is to always use a touch of olive oil or canola oil in a skillet and add your chicken breasts with your desired seasonings and place a lid over the skillet while the chicken cooks. Be sure to cook both sides of the chicken breast. If you choose to simmer it, it is well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous--Thanks for the hint! I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete