Dec 19, 2010

Gingerbread Men

Here is the traditional Clark family recipe for gingerbread men. I have to confess that I've probably never made these gingerbread men from start to finish. I'm basically too lazy to make the dough, cut out the cookies, and then frost them. Especially the frosting part. But I have made the dough for my mom, who then likes to take on such tasks. It's to my shame, I know. However, I have eaten more than my share of these cookies over the years. So I can attest to their deliciousness! By the way, in our family, we like thin and crispy cutout cookies (the theory may be that if they are thinner, you can eat more of them :-)), so I don't know what would happen if you did less rolling out and tried to make these into the thick cookies that some people like. If anyone wants to give that a try, let me know how it turns out.

2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup light molasses
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon hot water
1 teaspoon vinegar

Cream shortning and sugar until fluffy. Add molasses and egg, beating until smooth. Mix in dry ingredients, along with water and vinegar. Blend thoroughly. Cover dough and chill. Roll out dough until 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until browned. Makes 1 dozen men.