Feb 20, 2010

Penne Pasta with Ham & Cheese

The Durstelers, my good friends, led me to this recipe, and I just tried it for the first time tonight. Yum! Ham and cheese make a delicious combination with pasta. The recipe called for pappardelle pasta, but I used penne because that is what I had. I will definitely make this again.

1 pound penne pasta
8 tablespoons butter (plus 1 tablespoon for baking dish)
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
8 ounces ham, julienned (I used commercially diced ham, which worked fine)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Pinch nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare pasta and preheat broiler. Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add flour and stir with wooden spoon until well blended, about 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, add milk gradually. Continue to stir until it thickens and is smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add ham, half the Parmesan, and 6 tablespoons of butter. Stir while butter melts. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

Grease 8 x 12 oven dish. Add drained pasta and then pour white sauce over the top and mix well. Sprinkle evenly with remaining Parmesan. Broil until golden, about 3 minutes.