Dec 7, 2009

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

I made this cake for my dinner group the other night. It's a recipe I've always liked, but instead of doing a traditional chocolate frosting, I tried the chocolate whipping cream (see recipe below) that I use when I make chocolate angel food cake. The combination was perfect and also made for a wonderful presentation. I grated semisweet chocolate on the swirls of chocolate whipped cream and arranged fresh raspberries along the top so that each piece was topped with a raspberry.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 small instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 small package chocolate chips
8 ounces sour cream

Combine cake mix, pudding, and sugar. Then add oil and water. Beat with a wooden spoon. Add eggs one at a time and beat in thoroughly. Add sour cream and chocolate chips. Bake in greased and floured tube pan at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool one hour before removing from pan. Then let cake cool fully before frosting.

Chocolate Whipped Cream
2 cups powdered sugar (Note: next time I make this cake, I may try cutting the sugar back a bit. It's delicious as is but may taste just as good with less sugar.)
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups chilled whipping cream

Beat all ingredients in a chilled 2 1/2-quart bowl until stiff. After frosting, arrange fresh raspberries on top of the cake and/or sprinkle with grated semisweet chocolate. Refrigerate the cake for at least an hour before serving.