Nov 4, 2009

Dueling Pecan Pies

Well, this is my 100th blog post (Yahoo!). So in honor of this landmark event, I'm offering two recipes for the price of one. And today's subject is pecan pie. I didn't grow up eating pecan pie because it wasn't something my family ate. Even now, it would be futile to try getting members of my family to include pecan pie in the Clark family's pantheon of favorite pies. But pecan pie is one of my favorites. And here are two recipes to try.


Dear Abby's Famous Pecan Pie

I clipped this recipe out of the newspaper years ago from a Dear Abby column. This is the recipe I've always used in the past and liked.

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
9-inch unbaked pie crust
1 heaping cup pecan halves

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt, and vanilla; mix well. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust; sprinkle with pecan halves. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set. If crust or pie gets too brown, cover with foil for remaining baking time.


Pecan Pie #2 (adapted from the New Doubleday Cookbook)
I confess that I've never made this pie myself, but my friend Whitney has, and she let me try a piece or two recently. It is terrific! This pie is less gooey, and it holds its shape well. I think that this pecan pie may become my new favorite. Thanks to Whitney for sharing this recipe.

1 unbaked pie crust (in a 9-inch pan)
1 cup pecans
1 pound light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Arrange pecans in concentric circles. In a mixing bowl, blend sugar, flour, and salt. Then mix in milk and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, using a whisk. Mix in butter a little at a time. Gently pour over the pecans. Bake pie 75 minutes, or until filling is puffy and crust is golden.